Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gene Lewis





Gene Lewis, a fixture of the post-war Ringling alley. He performed on the show from 1952 - 1957, 1961 and from 1964 through 1968. This much I know: Gene was born in Bloomington, Indiana around 1900. He was in vaudeville, and his partner Frank Faylen later went on to work in many Hollywood films, including It's A Wonderful Life. He was often partnered with Albert White and in the mid 60s he did a very funny Twiggy parody walkaraound.

This from Rick Whelan:

"I've been enjoying your blog on the great old-time circus clowns.

I was wondering if you ever came across the name of an old friend of mine - Gene Lewis?


When I was boy and enamoured with the circus, Gene and I were pen pals and I still have his many letters which detail his life as a Ringling circus clown. I lost touch with him in the mid-1960s, but I believe he retired shortly after that and last I heard was living in a trailer park somewhere near Los Angeles.

I assume he is passed on by now, but I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has any additional information on his life. rickwhelan@sympatico.ca".

No comments: